March 17, 2011

How I overcame my aversion to chicken

This post is really about my huge aversion to chicken throughout pregnancy and how one recipe fixed that...but I couldn't resist sharing one of the cute photos I finally got once Thatcher's monthly stickers came in!


So prior to being pregnant I ate a ton of chicken and fish. I was NOT a big red meat eater at all. As in I rarely had a bite of steak and only ate the occasional hamburger. This was partially because I just didn't like the taste and why waste the calories but also because I tend to choose lighter dishes like tuna over a huge steak.

But then Thatcher was growing in my belly and like his father he apparently loves red meat. And he's not a huge fan of plain old chicken. I've written before about how I just knew Thatcher was a boy from about 14 weeks because I started eating steak and burgers like it was my job. In fact, I called Thatcher by his name well before we actually had anatomical confirmation that he was indeed Thatcher. But I just knew because no daughter of mine would like red meat!

However, it is H.A.R.D. to cook at home if chicken is not in your repertoire. I was so sick of the standard baked chicken breasts marinated in Lawry's. So so boring!

Enter this amazing recipe via For the Love of Cooking, a new favorite blog that I found via For the Love.

Here is the chicken prior to being cooked - it was delicious and so easy! We will definitely have this again very soon. Of course, it is wrapped in a red meat (typical!) but prosciutto is only 3 grams of fat and 60 calories per 2 slices, so it's not crazy bad beyond the salt content.


I also made these green beans on the side, which were also amazing. I even used the same concept on asparagus the next night!


Any other good, non-boring chicken recipes out there?

3 comments:

Jen Watts said...

How interesting! While I was pregnant I swear I almost became a vegetarian.. Red meat was my enemy! I also could barely eat chicken.
Thatcher is a handsome little fella!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE my grandma's chicken recipe. I linked it for you here:

http://lessonsinlifeandlight.wordpress.com/recipes/main-courses/mias-chicken/

Andie said...

Ha! I used to eat grilled, baked, rotisserie, etc. chicken all the time before I got pregnant because of saving calories, etc. and then all of the sudden I couldn't STAND the smell or taste of it unless it was drowned in sauce or breading. LOL

go figure!